Sunday, August 28, 2011

Something New to Try

So, my best friend, Beth, has been telling me to start a blog for quite awhile now.  I finally took her advice when my facebook page was becoming very blog-like.  As a little background, I'm a resident physician from Florida who has been living in Minnesota for the past 4 years.  I had always lived down south until the move up here and definitely miss things like Sweet Tea and Grits.  During residency, my husband and I have had our first child and our lives seem to be always full of adventure and randomness, especially when the 2 1/2 year old is involved. 

Recently, I became obsessed with baking cupcakes so this will also be a place for me to share my yummy treats.  I have been a cookie baker for a number of years but I've added homemade cupcakes after I got tired of watching shows on TV showing them but I couldn't actually taste them.  I think my trip to DC in May is what sealed the deal after Beth and I picked up cupcakes from 2 popular shops. 

My other new obsession has been training for a duathlon (Run-Bike-Run) with Brian.  Back in June I decided I needed a new bike after I could barely move from a 23 mile ride on my mountain bike. Brian switched to a road bike last summer and I was becoming envious of his improved ride.  At first, I thought I just wanted more comfort and decided to get a hybrid bike (Trek 7.3 WSD).  It was a nice bike and a HUGE improvement on the mountain bike (Trek 4500) but during my first ride the thought of doing the duathlon popped into my head.  My husband competed in it last year and I thought that it would be fun to complete together.  I should add that we completed the Warrior Dash together in July, which added to my motivation.  I can be quite competitive (mostly with myself) and would never sign up or show up to something like a duathlon without seriously training.  So, the next day after I got the idea to compete, I found a training schedule online and Brian and I went to work.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I was not properly equipped for the duathlon with the hybrid bike and luckily we decided to go back to the bike shop to try a true road bike.  The next day I left the shop with my new Trek Lexa (love it).  It is just an entry level road bike, but exactly what I need.  We have completed 3 of 7 weeks of training at this point and we officially registered for the race today.  I was not thrilled when I registered to find out that because of construction, the runs had to be lengthened from 3.3 miles each to 3.5 miles.  This is the other reason I need a blog because what keeps me on track is posting that I completed each day's activity. 

To end, I'm going to give my funny toddler story of the day.  Today we did brick training with biking followed by an hour run (by the way, I had never ran an hour before), and I was feeling tired afterwards.  I decided to pick up a few things at Walmart and then planned for Jackson and I to watch a movie so I could just sit.  Unfortunately, a few minutes into Walmart I realized I didn't have my wallet so we left.  On the way home, Jackson started telling me there was "an indian in the tree." He went on to say "oh no, the indian has your wallet." Then a fake fight went on between him and the indian in the back seat of my SUV.  This included grunting and fists flying through the air.  Then he began claiming the indian was hiding in another tree.  I wasn't sure what to make about all this but was happy to find my wallet lying in front of his play kitchen when we got home.  I think the "indian" can be contributed to his obsession with Peter Pan.  By the way, if you ever want a good taste of political incorrectness, watch Peter Pan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment