Sunday, September 11, 2011

Weekend of Remembering

The last few days my mind has been preoccupied with my brother Chris who we lost 2 1/2 years ago as his birthday is approaching (9/12).  I will be posting in this regard separetely but today also brought 9/11 memories. I think all of us never forget what we were doing and where we were at on 9/11/01 when tragedy struck.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all who lost a loved one that day or who lost a soldier in the following years fighting terrorism.  Tonight, I have enjoyed all the tributes to 9/11 on TV and hope this is a reminder to everyone to keep that patriotism that 9/11 brought out across the country 10 years ago. 

Tonight, I had a craving for bacon and scavenged through the pantry, fridge, and freezer for items to make something involving bacon.  I was happy with the end result which was chicken fettuccine alfredo with bacon and a side of sauteed zucchini (from our garden).  If interested, here is the recipe. 

Ingredients:
Fettuccine noodles (8oz)
Package of bacon
Chicken breast (I used 3 boneless skinless breasts)
1/4 cup butter (plus extra for bacon and chicken)
1 clove minced garlic or 1/2 tsp roasted minced garlic
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp milk
3/4 cup parmesean cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Sliced zucchini

1. Cook fettucine per package instructions.  (8oz is half a box and would have served 3 adults. I would use full box and doule sauce components if serving more people)
2. In 2 separate skillets, I cooked bacon and chicken breast over medium-high heat each in a tbsp of butter.  Drain bacon and crumble.  Slice chicken and set aside.
3. In large skillet, melt the 1/4 cup of butter and saute garlic for 1 minute over medium-low heat. Add 3/4 cup of whipping cream and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes while stirring.
4. Add chicken and bacon to sauce.  Add remaining cream, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute.  Add fettucine and cook an additional minute while stirring.
5. For the vegetable, I sauteed sliced zucchini in a tbsp of butter and salt and pepper over medium-hign heat in a medium skillet until tender (7-10 minutes).

Duathlon update:
Our schedules this week made it difficult to fit some workouts in but was able to catch up for the most part by the end of the week.  On Friday, I ran 75 minutes, which is my now my all time longest run.  Unfortunately, this run brought out the problem with my over supination (or under pronation) style of running.  Everytime I run the ends of my 4th toes hurt afterwards from hitting the front of the shoe.  I have been getting blisters but its been tolerable discomfort.  With the long run on Friday, I had severe pain in my right toe and discovered that my nailbed was dark purple.  I learned that there aren't very good options for over supination except to pick shoes that focus on cushioning, which I have (currently wearing Asics Gel Cumulus 12).   So, my options are to try an even more cushioned shoe and/or try a toe cap.  Since Zappos makes it so easy to try a pair of shoes and carry the wide width I need, I went ahead and ordered the Asics Gel Nimbis 13 (free next day shipping) and am going to stop by the Running Room tomorrow to pick up the toe cap to try.  Let me know if you have any other suggestions.  We only have 2 weeks of training left so I have to continue to workout depsite the toe.  I made today a rest day in leiu of this coming Tuesday and will be back at it tomorrow.
Day 29: run 60
Day 30: rest
Day 31: rest (had to move up from later in the week bc of work schedule)
Day 32: run 30
Day 33: run 75
Day 34: bike 120...stopped at 90 minutes bc legs were not feeling it

No comments:

Post a Comment